Monday, June 23, 2008

Final Reflection- Emerging Instructional Technlogies


I truly enjoyed Emerging Instructional Technologies. Since the start at the end of May, I have enjoyed the readings, podcasts, and videos we were assigned. I found much of the information "new", but very interesting, and was able to see how it applies in my classroom. As far as the week actually at class, it was very busy and at times overwhelming , but I can say I have been exposed to an array of technologies I can integrate into my classroom. Though, I am not an expert, I feel I can implement the technologies successfully and would enjoy learning more about each of those I choose to use.

The technologies I see myself using in my classroom with the students the most will be Skype, Google Docs, Webpage/Blog development, wikis, Voicethread, podcasts, and videos. I am looking forward to going through my curriculum and finding areas where this technology would be appropriate. I do believe that the students want to use technology in a meaningful way and I need to be able to provide them that opportunity in a way that will enhance the curriculum and their learning.

The technologies I see myself using in my professional life, but not necessarily with the children, are nings. Nings are a great way to establish contacts and throw ideas out there with others who want to collaborate. I am going to make an effort to find time to actively participate with several of the nings introduced to us in class. Having this social network of people with similar visions could be an amazing resource for myself and other teachers participating.

Our group's final project was on digital citizenship. I thought it turned out very well. I really enjoyed working with my creative group members and appreciated their help with many of the technologies. What I enjoyed the most was actually getting to use the technologies to put together something worthwhile because it is useful. The content of our product itself will be useful to students. The overall finished product, or framework, of our unit will be a great example to recreate for other curricular areas and/or model to other teachers about the possibilities with the emerging technologies I was exposed to this week.

When all the technology I learned this week is outdated and I am yet still trying to stay "up-to-date", I plan on remembering Dr. Zeitz's quote: "Live with Courage, Teach with Vision".


No comments: