Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Emerging Technology Experiences

Last Thursday evening I had the opportunity to chat with my class while sitting on the floor in Charlotte’s airport. This truly was an accomplishment since I was having nothing but problems with my internet the rest of the week while on vacation. Thankfully, remembering what tech support had done on my computer and from the help of the digital native sitting on the floor next to me in the airport and my little brother over my phone, I was finally able to reset my LAN settings so I could connect to the internet.

I really enjoyed the numerous conversations regarding both the excitement and challenges of being in a chat room, conferencing over MeBeam, and also exploring Second Life. I am looking forward to these experiences also. The conversations I heard and from the blogs of fellow students got me thinking about digital natives and immigrants. I think eventually most of us will become immigrants, even if we are natives today. Technology changes so quickly and it is hard to keep up. I think we can postpone our change into an immigrant by attempting to stay current and by actively trying the new technologies in our life and our career. Ultimately, we will all need to help of natives, whether they are today’s natives or the natives of the future, to help us keep current.

I did a small amount of researching on Second Life today before I downloaded it and created my aviator. The wiki, http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/, gave me a quick way to look at some of the places you can go in Second Life, the educational uses, and resources for starting Second Life. One fact that I found very interesting was that $5 million USD are transacted each month in Second Life – Wow, I had no idea the uses of this virtual world.

The technical requirements of Second Life are going to be an issue when wanting to implement this in any classroom in my district. After downloading Second Life on my district laptop, I received the message that my system did not meet the minimum requirements of memory or the graphic card. I also got the message for my home computer about the memory, although it should be fine. I am hoping anyway. I know my district laptop is much better than any of the student computers in my building. I will continue to look for the educational opportunities available with Second Life, but unfortunately, my district would need to update their technology before I could use this in my classroom.

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Quite impressed with your connecting from the airport.

You are a Digital Native in the making.

Z